Following our online Lovecraft Country Symposium ‘Cults, Cthulus, and Klansmen: The (Hi)stories within Lovecraft Country‘ which took place on 20 May 2021, we are curating an archive of materials inspired by the symposium that will continue the existing conversation surrounding Misha Green’s Lovecraft Country and the horrors of American history. You will find below playlists, images, talks, resources and other materials relating to the symposium and the series. If you would like to contribute to the archive any blogs/ vlogs, visual artwork, creative meditations (fictional and non-fictional), short films, music playlists, etc. that you may have created in relation to the series please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Talks and Presentations:
Below you will find versions of talks, presentations, and discussions from our ‘Cults, Cthulus, and Klansmen: The (Hi)stories within Lovecraft Country‘ symposium.
The (Ex-) Slave as Agent of Change in Misha Green’s Lovecraft Country (Transcript)
You can read a transcript of Michael Werning’s paper ‘The (Ex-) Slave as Agent of Change in Misha Green’s Lovecraft Country‘, originally presented at ‘Cults, Cthulus, and Klansmen: The (Hi)stories within Lovecraft Country‘, here.
The 19th-Century American Literary Roots of Magical White Privilege in HBO’s “Lovecraft Country”
You can watch a recording of Chuck Caruso’a Paper ‘The 19th-Century American Literary Roots of Magical White Privilege in HBO’s “Lovecraft Country”’ below, and you can also view Caruso’s presentation slides.
Keynote Panel Discussion
Watch the Keynote panel discussion from ‘Cults, Cthulus, and Klansmen: The (Hi)stories within Lovecraft Country‘ featuring Maria Hamilton Abegunde, Kinitra Brooks, John Jennings, and Susana Morris.
Playlist Inspired by Lovecraft Country
(organized by M. Wester)
You can also listen to the playlist on YouTube here.
- “Cold War” by Janelle Monae: https://youtu.be/lqmORiHNtN4
- “This is America” by Childish Gambino: https://youtu.be/VYOjWnS4cMY
- “Strange Fruit” by Billie Holiday: https://youtu.be/Web007rzSOI
- “Mississippi Goddam” by Nina Simone: https://youtu.be/LJ25-U3jNWM
- “Whitey’s on the Moon” (remix of Gil Scott Heron): https://youtu.be/oBQFy0iJlvQ
- “Yankee Go Home” by Bob Connelly: https://youtu.be/1qa1yTUnUUo
- “Masters of War” by Bob Dylan: https://youtu.be/h2mabTnMHe8
- “Pain Everyday” by Clipping: https://youtu.be/c0RYIIzsvFw
- “Catch the Fire” by Rob feat Sonia Sanchez: https://youtu.be/lgbKNnGbo2s
- “The Revolution Will Not be Televised” by Gil Scott Heron: https://youtu.be/UGqxU6PTRZk
- “Blood of the Fang” by Clipping: https://youtu.be/s9EsHbqmjN4
- “Problem #13” by Johnny Dangerous: https://youtu.be/mRowQGqkjRA
- “Revolution” by Arrested Development: https://youtu.be/nvKBeu1la78
- “Turntables” by Janelle Monae: https://youtu.be/8CFrCk6_0rM
Playlist Inspired by Lovecraft Country and Afrofuturism
(organized by J. Simpson)
This is a playlist based around the idea of Gothic Afrofuturism and inspired by the series Lovecraft Country and J. Simpson’s talk on Afrofuturism at ‘Cults, Cthulus, and Klansmen: The (Hi)stories within Lovecraft Country‘. The playlist includes a cross-section of afrofuturistic music with a lot of songs from Africa including electronic music, jazz, funk, and new forms of traditional music as well as African-American music and Afropunk. You can listen to the playlist on Spotify here.
Below you will find a list of other resources relating to the series Lovecraft Country. If you would like to suggest any other resources please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Misha Green’s transcripts for all episodes of the series: http://misha-writes.com/
- #LovecraftCountry : primary sources and published materials at Penn State
- Horror Homeroom SPECIAL ISSUE #3: Takes on Lovecraft Country
Kinitra D. Brooks’ ‘The Safe Negro Guide to Lovecraft Country’
- The Langston League’s episode-by-episode syllabus for Lovecraft Country.
- Lovecraft Country Radio (the Official podcast)
- “Lovecraft Country and the Horror Story of America” by Tonja Renee Stidhum: https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/lovecraft-country-and-the-horror-story-of-america-1844726148
- “A Reader’s Guide to Lovecraft Country” by Matt Ruff: http://www.bymattruff.com/lovecraft-country/a-readers-guide-to-lovecraft-country/
- “This is What Lovecraft Country Really Means” by Ariana Brockington: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/08/9959175/what-lovecraft-country-means-hp-racism
- Interviews with Misha Green:
- 92nd Street Y: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJR9MPYUe88
- Reel Chicago: https://reelchicago.com/article/lovecraft-countrys-showrunner-misha-green/
- Rolling Stone: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/lovecraft-country-creator-misha-green-interview-season-finale-1077047/
- Fresh Air (NPR): https://www.npr.org/2021/03/30/982710685/lovecraft-country-creator-misha-green?t=1620995676928